I have a block or two to share from the book, along with all the information to enter the Well Wishes Charity Bee Quilt raffle AND I’m giving away a copy of the book. This is a jam-packed blog post, so make sure you read to the end! Continue readingPin It
This bag is part of a promotion going on to show off Alison Glass’ Handcrafted fabrics at QuiltCon called ‘Share Your Handcrafted’. Handcrafted is a newer line by Alison that is a form of Batik, which means each and every yard is unique and has slight differences. Alison explains the story, process and more on her own blog. It’s a good read.
Andover Fabrics so generously sent over a bundle of Handcrafted and some more Sunprint 2015 fabric (because they know how much I love that stuff) for this project. I then used Andover black chambray for the sides, various strap pieces and for the top section of the interior. Chambray is a little on the thinner side (since it’s main use is apparel) so I used extra interfacing to stabilize it a bit more.
This bag lays a bit different than the first one I made, mostly because of the different weight fabrics. I like that. It helps me justify the fact that I made TWO bags for one trip. One is a bit stiff with loads of open pockets and one is a bit more relaxed with a bunch of zipper pockets. PERFECT!
I just had to photograph these awesome gussets again! They make the bag roomy, but not too bulky, plus they just look so neat! I had purchased this Anxiety patch from the New Woodsman and felt like it looked at home on the bags strap. My husband said it made it look more punk. Ha!
I was unable to get a good photo of the front inside pocket, but it’s exactly the same as my last super tote. I was inspired by From the Blue Chair to add a little organizer inside to help keep my phone and such close at hand.
Now here’s where the two bags differ, a bunch. I did not add a main zipper closure, instead I left it open and free. To help keep things organized a bit more and secure valuables (since theres no top zipper) I added TWO zipper pockets inside, one on each side. I even made them extra fancy by having one magenta and one plum. oooooh. I also only included one divided elastic pocket, instead of two, this time because I didn’t think I needed them.
The inside of this bag isn’t as pretty as the last one. I messed up a bit on the inside gusset. Instead of sewing with a 1/2″ seam allowance, I used a 1/4″. So I added some extra pleats on the side to make up for the extra 1″ total going around. Plus I forgot to iron it all before attached them outside and inside pieces. whoops.
The outside design was totally a trial and error situation. I had those hexagon templates laying around for months waiting to be turned into something else. Then when I laid them out in my original configuration I had pieces covering the white triangles, which I did not like. So I moved pieces around, made new hexagons, etc etc, until I was happy with the outcome! I like how it kind of looks like a city with mountains in the background. It’s unique, just the way I like things.
I’m saving this bag for Saturday at QuiltCon, because I want it to be all fresh and pretty looking.So if you’re walking around that day, look for the girl with purple hair holding this bag!!Pin It
Back in July, I took place in a collaboration between Cloud 9 Fabrics and Silhouette America. I was sent an awesome fat quarter bundle of Cloud 9′s new line Arcadia by Sarah Watson to make something using my Silhouette CAMEO. All they asked of me was to make it an applique project.
I had so much fun designing and making this project! I wrote up a full tutorial, with pictures, over on Silhouette America’s blog. Trust me when I say, this project was way easier to make than it looks!
Also, if you are new here and would like to keep up on all the new projects I will be posting then please add me on BlogLovin!Pin It
About a month ago the very kind folks over at Andover Fabrics sent me a sweet package filled with some precut bundles of brandnew and yet to be released fabrics for me to play with. They wanted to see what I would come up with.
I’ve been a huge mess lately preparing for BlytheCon (2 WEEKS LEFT TO PREP) and working on my Silhouette America projects so I can focus on that BlytheCon stuff, so I haven’t been able to play with all this fabric uninterrupted.
I did attempt to make a pretty, kinda chevron looking pillow out of the new 1Canoe2 line. Halfway through though I realized I had cut a bunch of pieces wrong and now I am reassembling what I can into pot holders. Luckily the line has food related items in it, which actually makes it PERFECT for potholders. Why didn’t I think of potholders before? I’ll share the finished set soon!
I also attacked the Chillingsworth charm packs and made a couple huge piles of hexies. They have already been pieced together and are just in the queue waiting to be quilted. (I like to do all my quilting at once. I may be a weirdo like that) Just like the potholders, I hope to share the finished piece soon.
I also have BIG plans for those fat quarter bundles shown in the background of the first photo. I’m just not ready to share yet.
So, on a slightly different note, this post is just a sweet reminder of the changes I’ve made in how I spend my days! I can now sit down and sew, draw, bake and more without all the stress involved with what I was previously doing. I feel like I’m actually making progress in my goals I talked about last month and I have learned so much in that time too. I’m happier and a bit less stressed (I’ll be even more stress free after BlytheCon).
So I’d like to say thank you to everyone who encouraged me and has been supportive along the way.
You are all awesome!!!Pin It